Thursday, December 30, 2010

the biggest boy of them all

I asked Corey the other night if he had read my blog...I knew the answer.   He read them right away and wanted to know why I hadn't written anything about him (pretty sure he was whiny).  That was after he critiqued my spelling.  Thanks sweetie.

Where to begin with Corey...  We have been married for 13 years, together for 15.  We met while I was score keeping for summer league basketball and he was playing on a team.  We flirted, he sang me happy birthday in the gym, we ran into each other at Rennie's and he asked me out on a date. Being the good girl that I am, I told him I wouldn't sleep with him on the first date, but maybe the second (don't worry mom I didn't).  We had a great first date; dinner at Jo Feds, sneaking into Mac Court, playing hoops at Bean Courts, and surfing the web (it was new back then).  At the end of the date he walked me to my apartment and leaned in to kiss me, I backed up and offered him a hand shake.  He said no thanks and wasn't too happy, I giggled.

Before Corey and I were engaged I knew his passion was being a basketball coach.  He was coaching at Willamette HS.  My favorite part was getting hula chick pizza from Abby's after games.   4 weeks before we got married Corey started working at Marist HS as the Athletic Director (eventually coaching boys basketball too).  5 years ago he became the Athletic Director and Men's Basketball Coach at Northwest Christian University.  I never really realized what an athletic director did until I married one.  On top of the day to day job of answering phones, talking to students, checking on grades, meetings, emails, etc--there's all the sporting events.  Volleyball, men's and women's soccer, women's and men's basketball, softball, golf, cross country, I think I might be missing a couple. When you add coach to that....yikes!  It's a lot of texting and phone calls in lieu of seeing your spouse.

With kids life got a little trickier.  I think the boys have been to more sporting events than most adults.  We attempt as many events as we can, as long as they occur before bedtime.   JJ and Jackson love going to basketball practices with Corey.   The players are great with them (although I notice a tad bit of attitude after they have been to practice).   He is a great dad!  We enjoy Oregon football games, riding bikes, heading to Gilham to ride the bike jumps, shooting hoops, camping, cutting out sports clippings and taping them to the bedroom walls, wrestling, and whatever else the boys decide they want to do.  They love their daddy's pancakes and waffles, topped with syrup and powdered sugar.  Sometimes a banana or food coloring gets added:)  When Corey is away on road trips, the boys miss him terribly.  He finally accepted a lesson on how to Skype (difficult I know) and now they love talking to him and seeing what his motel rooms look like.

Tonight he had a game against Southern Oregon, and they lost.  One of the not so fun things about being hitched to a basketball coach, they take losing pretty bad.   I am hoping they win tomorrow...or ringing in the New Year is going to be a barrel of fun!

There he is in a nutshell...or else the rated G version.  He makes me laugh and I love him lots!





No comments:

Post a Comment