Friday, January 28, 2011

Basketball...is there more to life?

Ahhh Basketball.  It deserves to be capitalized.  In my life it is the best friend that your husband spends his time with.  I have loved basketball since I was little.  Playing at Central School, shooting in the driveway, refereeing youth, Bean Courts (playing for slurpees and crazy bread), Riley Hall side court...basketball has always been in my life.  But it hasn't been my life.
My boys love basketball.  We have had a hoop in our house since JJ was born (thank you Heath and Andrea). Slam dunks, trampoline, off the ceiling, jumping over brothers, you name it and it has taken place in the front room.  There are at least 10 basketballs in our house, a couple we aren't allowed to touch, and a couple we can't shoot outside.  All different sizes, just in case we want a change.  We have a hoop in front of our house, with the key and 3 point line painting in yellow and green.  Again, my boys love basketball.
My biggest boy loves basketball too.  He has been coaching since I met him.  Do you know how long basketball season is?  Practice starts in October, games in November and it could run until mid March.   April-September is time for recruiting, open gyms, weight lifting, working on specific positions, etc.  The answer is, Basketball season is year round for a coaches wife and family.
Basketball is motivation at times
  • If you mess around in class and your teacher calls your mom to talk, there's a good chance you will be watching your next practice or a game.  Thankfully that has only happened twice in JJ's 8 years.  :) 
  • Getting your homework and reading finished correctly means you can play dunk hoops in in the living room.
Basketball is a distraction
    • The hoop is closed at 7:00pm.  Boys can focus on getting ready for bed.
    • I think the hoop calls out the boys every time they walk by it-"Come on boys, just one more shot!"
    Basketball is discipline
    • Ball bucket has been known to spend a night or two in the garage when boys are stinkers.
    • NBA or Duck Jerseys have been excused from the closets when listening ears aren't working
    Basketball is FUN!
    • It's fun to practice plays at recess.  
    • It's fun to attempt a behind the back pass.
    • It's fun to play Bump.
    • It's fun to make crazy shots in HORSE.
    • It's fun to play with your friends.
    I loved playing basketball in High School. Loved rebounding (I'm only 5'8"...I like to compare myself to a certain Round Mound of Rebound).  When high school was over, I was thankful to play for fun.  It' wasn't about winning, unless you are a guy who doesn't think a girl can beat you:).  

    I want my boys to work hard on the court, the field, the classroom, and the diamond.  To respect their coaches, referees and officials and teachers  To respect the game and their studies. Basketball has spoiled them.  They get to go to their daddy's basketball games, raid the snack bar, sit on the bench, get water and towel for the players, shoot for popcorn at half time, play under the bleachers, and stay up late.  What little boy wouldn't love that? 
    Basketball isn't Life. Basketball makes life a little better, even though sometimes I think of it as someone trying to steal my husband.   

    When you're shooting around....never end on a miss!

    2 comments:

    1. "If you mess around in class and your teacher calls your mom to talk, there's a good chance you will be watching your next practice or a game." -- Love it! Hen has just started asking about basketball and soccer and if he can take classes to learn how to play. Is three too early?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Well, I'd written a long comment and it is apparently lost now.

      Basically I said that I feel like my new job is Professional Basketball Game Attender.

      And the difference between Basketball and the Best Friend is that most guys don't keep thinking about the Best Friend when they aren't with them anymore. I can look at Chad and tell when he is thinking about Basketball...

      ReplyDelete